Washington Filmworks (WF) uses our Location of the Month newsletters to showcase the diversity of unique looks and resources for production in a number of jurisdictions around Washington State. Find previous installments archived on our website and on the WF Blog.
City of Port Angeles – July 2014
Historic Port Angeles, nestled into the base of the Olympic Mountains along the shore of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, deserves the title “Where the Mountains Meet the Sea.” There is a mix of industry, beauty and Northwest native culture in the midst of the town’s everyday life. The authentic American 1950s, small-town downtown combined with historic brick architecture offers endless filming possibilities. Being situated in the middle of nature provides many urban wilderness-like vistas, both forest- and water-based. Port Angeles has excellent restaurants and caterers that are part of the Olympic Peninsula Culinary Loop, as well as many different housing options from hotels to vacation rentals to B&Bs.
Port Angeles Weather
Port Angeles is a coastal town with mild seasons. Most of the year, winds from the Pacific Ocean sweep in along the Strait of Juan de Fuca bringing moisture and comfortable cool breezes. Winds from the Canadian North can often bring snow flurries in the winter, which usually do not linger long as warmer rains wash them away within a few days. Spring sees a burst of floral color and most everything stays green through the summer. Due to the relatively wet summers, autumn comes a little later than it does in the rest of the country. Maple trees begin to turn orange and brown in early October and by November, the town is an entire landscape of evergreens, which are abundant and never out of view against the snow-peaked backdrop.
January – High 45.1 F, Low 34.0 F
July Rainfall – 0.55 inches
Projects Filmed in Port Angeles
- The Hunted, Lakeshore Entertainment / Alphaville Films (2003)
- The State, Kryptos Films (2002)
- Wyatt Earp, Warner Brothers (1993)
- Past Midnight, Cine-Tel Entertainment (1991)
- The Hunt for Red October, Paramount Pictures (1989)
- Kid Coulter, Wind River Productions (1984)
- Ax Men, Original Productions (2008 – 2014)
- My Five Wives (2013 – 2014)
- Reflections of Murder (1974)
Key Locations of Interest
- City Pier and Waterfront Esplande
- Olympic Discovery Trail runs through town (Rails to Trails project)
- Historic County Courthouse, museum, old post office, Lincoln Middle School and other downtown buildings
- Hurricane Ridge vistas
- Industrial locations: wood mills, yacht construction and repair marinas
- Distant views of Canada across 18-mile Strait of Juan de Fuca
- Peninsula College campus
- Peninsula Golf Course
- Art outdoors, both downtown Port Angeles and at Webster’s Woods Art Park
- Children’s Dream Play Park and Skateboard Park
- Quiet, hillside neighborhoods overlooking the town below
- William R. Fairchild International Airport and Rite Bros. Aviation
- Ediz Hook 3-mile spit of land sheltering the Port Angeles Harbor
- Historic Camp Hayden at Salt Creek Recreation Area with the remnants of World War II bunkers
Relevant Contact Information
- Local Film Liaison – Marsha Massey, Executive Director, Port Angeles Liaison, 360-452-8552, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agency that issues permits and costs – Brendan Fluckiger, (360) 565-3090
- Police or Sheriff’s Department or agency that handles traffic control – Port Angeles Police Department, (360) 452-4545
Closest Large Washington Airport
- William R. Fairchild International Airport is in Port Angeles.
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is 128 miles from Port Angeles.
Closest Large Cities in Washington
- Olympia is 122 miles from Port Angeles.
- Seattle is 84 miles via the Bainbride Island Ferry; 87 miles via the Edmonds/Kingston Ferry from Port Angeles
- Tacoma is 109 miles from Port Angeles
A list of accommodations in the Olympic Peninsula can be found here: http://olympicpeninsula.org/places-to-stay
Sometimes, another heartiness conditions can affect the blood flow that will lead to erectile disfunction. What remedies you can order online? A global sexual appeal among men is the erectile disfunction. A lot of people around the World think about “generic viagra online“. Did somebody tell you about “online viagra“? Questions, like “order viagra online“, refer to numerous types of soundness problems. Why it happen? What kinds of professionals treat sexual problems in men? Unfortunately nearly all over-the-counter drugs have some kind of unwanted side effects, from headache to death. However, with trusted source you get confidence in knowing that your order is being handled by reliable physicians and that your information is safe.