Washington Filmworks (WF) uses our Location of the Month newsletters to showcase the diversity of unique looks and resources for production in a number of jurisdictions around Washington State. Find previous installments archived on our website and on the WF Blog.
In light of the Seafair season in Seattle, we decided to do something a little different for the August Location of the Month by adopting a maritime theme. This month we highlight the Grays Harbor Historical Seaport Authority and their two stunning sailing vessels, the Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain, which have some impressive credits. We’ll return to the regular format next month, but for now, ahoy!
Grays Harbor Historical Seaport Authority – August 2014
Grays Harbor Historical Seaport Authority (GHHSA) is a public development authority that was chartered by the City of Aberdeen in 1986 to build the tall ship Lady Washington for the 1989 Centennial of Washington State. Since then, the Historical Seaport has grown into a 501(c)3 non-profit with a mission to offer hands-on living history education for K-12 students and the general public. In 2005, GHHSA acquired the tall ship Hawaiian Chieftain and the two ships travel to more than 40 ports a year in Washington, Oregon, California, and British Columbia. In 2013, the Historical Seaport acquired Seaport Landing, a 38-acre former sawmill property in Aberdeen. GHHSA is now working on a master plan to redevelop the property into a multi-use tourism destination facility.
Resources for Filmmakers
Projects Filmed with the Maritime Collateral
- Star Trek: Generations, Paramount Pictures (1994)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Walt Disney Pictures (2003)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, Walt Disney Pictures (2006)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, Walk Disney Pictures (2007)
- The West, IMAX, Blackbeard, Stonewerks Productions
- The Real Story “Pirates of the Caribbean,” Blink Films for the Smithsonian Channel (2011)
- Once Upon A Time “The Crocodile,” ABC-TV (2012)
- Smosh “Assassin’s Creed 4 Rock Anthem,” Alloy Digital (2013)
- Revolution, NBC-TV (2013)
- “Can’t Hold Us,” Macklemore / Ryan Lewis Productions (2013)
Other Programs, Events and Voyages
- One-hour dockside and three-hour dockside sailing programs for K-12 students in over 40 ports per year. These hands-on living history programs help students understand the early exploration of the west coast of North America by Anglo-Europeans, as well as basic navigation and oceanography.
- Two- and three-hour sailing programs for the general public.
- Walk-on tours. These give guests a taste of life aboard an 18th Century sailing vessel.
- Ships are also available for charter to film and television producers.
- “Sail-a-bration” event on Independence Day includes tours of the ships, activities for families, music, and viewing of Aberdeen’s annual community fireworks show from one of the best viewing locations in the city.
- Ships make voyages to over 40 ports a year from San Diego to Port Angeles, including many ports in Puget Sound and in the San Francisco Bay area.
- There are many more requests for visits than the GHHSA can accomodate per year, so the following factors weigh into the decision of whether or not to schedule a voyage:
- Potential for revenue
- Proximity to population centers
- Adequate public access and marina facilities
- Philosophy to serve young people, no matter the economic circumstance
Relevant Contact Information
- Local Film Liaison – Joe Follansbee, Communications Director for Grays Harbor Historical Seaport Authority, (360) 589-0766, email@example.com
Sometimes, another health conditions can affect the blood flow that will lead to erectile dysfunction. What remedies you can order online? A global sexual complaint among men is the erectile malfunction. A lot of people around the World think about “generic viagra online“. Did somebody tell you about “online viagra“? Questions, like “order viagra online“, refer to numerous types of health problems. Why it happen? What kinds of professionals treat sexual problems in men? Unfortunately nearly all over-the-counter drugs have some kind of unwanted side effects, from headache to death. However, with trusted source you get confidence in knowing that your order is being handled by reliable physicians and that your information is safe.