Washington Filmworks uses our Location of the Month newsletters to showcase the diversity of unique looks and resources for production in a number of jurisdictions around Washington State. Find previous installments archived on our website and on the WF Blog.
Yakima – April 2015
The Yakima Valley is a collective of communities boasting four seasons and more than 300 days of annual sunshine. It is a diverse wine region and agricultural area enticing travelers from all over the world. Apples, cherries, pears, mint, and wine grapes are just a few of the crops that are found growing in the rich, fertile, volcanic soil. The Yakima Valley produces nearly half of Washington State’s wine, as well as 75 percent of the nation’s hop production.
Located on the east side of the Cascade Mountains, the Yakima Valley averages about eight inches of precipitation each year in which almost half of it appears in snow during the months of November, December, and January. The climate consists of dry hot summers and winters that are cool with light snowfall. This weather marks Yakima as a leader in agricultural products, wine production, outdoor recreation and tourism.
January – High 37 F, Low 20 F
July – High 90 F, Low 56 F
January Rainfall – 0.77 inches
July Rainfall – 0.12 inches
January Snowfall – 4.90 inches
Projects Filmed in Yakima
Projects filmed in Yakima:
- The Cement Suitcase (2013)
- Contrition (2012)
- The Hanging Tree (1959)
Key Locations of Interest
The Yakima Valley’s 4,000+ miles of wide open space provides endless possibilities for filmmakers, producers and directors who are looking for historic, rural, and desert scenes. The downtown of Yakima could easily fit the setting for movies in need of old historic buildings, gritty bars, railroads and parks along the river. Yakima’s Lower Valley thrives with various opportunities of settings for rivers, mountains, and orchards with period barns and turn of the century homes. Just 20 minutes southeast of Yakima is the western themed town of Toppenish. There’s no need for imitation backdrops here, as the town features 75 painted murals on its buildings. Those in need of a far off land but still within the USA will find the perfect location at the Training Center, where the barren Steppe hills effortlessly transform into a Middle Eastern scene of an isolated desert environment, with sage brush and mountains in the distance. Overall the Yakima Valley’s small rural towns and rugged mountain vistas are well suited for car commercials, outdoor adventure, old western themed shoots and international productions.
Distance to Closest Large Washington Airport
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is approximately 142 miles from Yakima.
- Spokane International Airport is approximately 202 miles from Yakima.
- Tri-Cities Airport – Port of Pasco is approximately 83 miles from Yakima.
- Yakima Air Terminal McAllister Field is located at 2406 West Washington Ave, Yakima.
Distance to Closest Large Cities in Washington
- Olympia is approximately 183 miles from Yakima.
- Seattle is approximately 142 miles from Yakima.
- Spokane is approximately 202 miles from Yakima.
- Tri-Cities is approximately 78 miles from Yakima.
Relevant Contact Names and Information
- Local Film Liaison: Heather Decker, Travel Media & Trade Relations Manager, (509) 573-3091,firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Agency that issues permits and costs: Colleda Monick, City of Yakima Economic Development Assistant, (509) 576-6772, email@example.com
- Police or Sheriff’s Department or agency that handles traffic control: Colleda Monick, City of Yakima Economic Development Assistant, (509) 576-6772, firstname.lastname@example.org
A full list of current accommodations can be found at yakimavalleytourism.com.
Sometimes, another health conditions can affect the blood flow that will lead to erectile dysfunction. What remedies you can order online? A global sexual appeal among men is the erectile malfunction. A lot of folk around the World think about “generic viagra online“. Did somebody tell you about “online viagra“? Questions, like “order viagra online“, refer to numerous types of soundness problems. Why it happen? What kinds of professionals treat sexual problems in men? Unfortunately nearly all over-the-counter drugs have some kind of unwanted side effects, from headache to death. However, with trusted source you get confidence in knowing that your order is being handled by reliable physicians and that your information is safe.